Exercises For Lesson 27
Listen daily for the expression [gɔaa ni̲ ɤöö].
Practice using the comparative by going to the in-patients and comparing different things in the vicinity for size
etc. Listen as they repeat what you say and correct your mistakes.
Be constantly listening for various key words in every sentence you hear and therby enabling yourself to become
aware of subject predicate, object and connectives. This will quicken the understanding process and give assurance in what
- Write in Nuer:
- You better come now because there isn't any fire here and I want it right away.
- He better tell me now because I won't be here tomorrow.
- You better not do that (neg. imv.) because my father will dislike it.
- You better take this one because mine is bigger than yours.
- These are good but those are better.
- You and he, you had better stay here today. Tomorrow there won't be a place for you.
- Their barns are smaller than ours.
- They better not come here. We don't have food for everybody.
- You better sweep the house completely today because you didn't do it yesterday.
- Give me that cloth. Mine is no good. This is better.
- Read together with your informant, then translate.
Cä̲ ram kɛl nɛn mëëpan, tëë thaar jiaath. Du̲ŋdɛ ga̲a̲c. Ci̲ ɤä̲n ɛ thie̲c i̲ wu̲tɛ, ɛ ŋu̲?
Cɛ ɛ lar i̲ ɤä̲n, ɛ ɤä̲n ja̲l. Ba̲a̲ ni̲ gua̲a̲ mi̲ na̲̩n (far). Kä̲ tä̲ä̲mɛ ci̲ duɔ̲ɔ̲r kɛl ɤä̲
ku̲ dhal. Ɣä̲n kua̲cä̲ nɛy ti̲ti̲ wanɛmɛ, kä̲ wanɛmɛ thïlɛ ɤä̲ mä̲ä̲th. Kä̲ tɛ̲ puɔ̲nydä̲
Bä̲ ku̲ lɛ lɛl i̲ di̲? Cɛ ɤä̲ dhal ɛpu̲c. Nyimaar, luä̲k ɤä̲. Ci̲ ɤä̲n ɤ la̲r jɛ Wu̲tɛ, jï̲n gɔaa
ni̲ ɤöö wër kä̲ ki̲i̲m. Jɛn a thï̲n duɛ̲ɛ̲l ɛmi. Dɔ̲ɔ̲ jɛn bɛ tɛ̲ kɛ ca̲p kɛ kui̲cdu̲. Wu̲t ɛmɔ
ci̲ lɔcdɛ tɛɛth.
- Study carefully the examples under section 4 of this lesson. Note how the constructions are translated into
English and write out sentences of your own following those patterns.