Exercises For Lesson 29
- Write in Nuer:
- This little boy molded (tä̲th) this cow out of earth by himself.
- This little girl knitted (tak) her sweater (cloth) by herself.
- Each person helped himself by himself.
- They came by themselves.
- I myself did it by myself for them.
- Each person helped himself. (In the sense of giving to himself.)
- Each person has his own cloth, don't ask me for more clothes.
- Each person will take his own (pl) today.
- Do it yourself (sing.).
- Each place has its own chief.
- Read aloud with informant and translate:
Yɛn dho̲o̲li̲ duëël gɔ̲rkä̲ biaa wanɛmɛ. Bi̲ nɛy yɛ moc bie̲e̲yni̲. Tä̲ä̲mɛ bi̲ dho̲o̲lɔ
ciɛ̲ŋ kɛ bi̲i̲ydɛ, kä̲ bie̲e̲yni̲ diaal, kɛn diaal a wi̲i̲ dhölɔ. Bi̲ ramɔ tɛ̲ kɛ bi̲i̲ydɛ, bi̲ ramɔ
tɛ̲ kɛ bi̲i̲ydɛ. Yio̲pɛ kɛ a gɔaa. (Take good care of them). Thïlɛ bie̲e̲yni̲ kɔkiɛn thï̲n wanamɛ kɛ kui̲cdu̲n kɛ ruɔ̲̩n
Tɛ̲ naath rɛy duëël. Ci̲ ram kɛl ɛ lar i̲ No̲o̲ ni̲ bokni̲ di̲n. Moc ramɔ kɛ du̲ŋdɛ, moc ramɔ kɛ du̲ŋdɛ.
Dɔn diaal banɛ dit kɛt.
- Listen for these reflexive forms in daily speech and concentrate on how they are used.
- Write 10 sentences using the reflexive and intensive pronouns in their various grammatical environments.