Exercises For Lesson 31
- Identify all verbs in the dialogue and explain how they are used. Give aspect, subject and object. Give all nouns and
pronouns and explain how they are used.
- Listen specifically for the interrogative particle [di̲]. Note the situations in which it is used and check them with
- Go to the clinic patients and ask them how they are. Note their answers, listening especially for verbs and the
- Write in Nuer:
- How do you know?
- How is your foot?
- How did he say? (how was that?)
- How will they eat?
- How are they coming?
- How will they drink if they have no water?
- What do you say?
- Is this any better?
- How is she feeling?
- Is your child ill? How is he?
- Read with the informant, then translate and explain all the words grammatically.
Puɔ̲nydu̲ tëë di̲, madi̲n? Ɛ waa i̲ bɛc puɔ̲nydu̲ ɛlɔ̲ŋ.
Bɛcɛ pa̲ny, nyaadä̲. Liɛwä̲ tä̲ä̲mɛ.
Ɣëc, madi̲n, /cu̲ wi̲cdu̲ car i̲ li̲wi̲ kɛ ɤöö dɔ̲ɔ̲ bi̲ puɔ̲nydu̲ buɔm cä̲ŋ kɛl.
Dɔ̲ŋ ɛ jɛn, nyaadä̲. Gɔaa ni̲ tëk. Ɣä̲n göörä̲ tëk.
Ɣɔ̲ɔ̲n, ŋa̲cä̲ jɛ i̲ go̲o̲ri̲ tëk, kä̲ tɛ̲ tëkni̲ da̲ŋ rɛw thï̲n. Kɛl ɛ tëk pua̲a̲ny ra̩n kä̲
kɛl ɛ tëk yiɛ̲kä̲ ran. Ɛ ɤä̲n i̲ gɔaa ni̲ tëk yiɛ̲kä̲ kɛ ɤöö mi̲ () tɛ̲ raan kɛ tëk yiɛ̲kä̲,
ram ɛmɔ /cɛ bi̲ li̲w. Lia̲a̲ /cɛ bi̲ cop gua̲a̲ yiɛ̲ka̲ ra̩n mi̲ tɛ̲ tëk kuɔth Jidhɛth thï̲n.
Jï̲n, madi̲n, /cu̲ diɛɛr kɛ kui̲c pua̲a̲nydu̲, kä̲ car wi̲cdu̲ kɛ kui̲c yiɛ̲kä̲du̲ pa̲ny.
- Write a composition of 10-15 sentences about a Nuer village.