Exercises For Lesson 36
- As you listen in church or in conversation isolate passive constructions. List what you hear in a day and check
with informant. Be sure and use this construction in place of the imperative when fitting.
- Write a composition with the help of your informant of a conversation between someone and the yard boy giving the
boy instructions for the day's work.
- Write in Nuer:
- He said it was taken yesterday.
- We think this one is better because it was done by a woman.
- They said theirs was broken by their children.
- It's cooked this way because it will be eaten by old people.
- They were done that way last year I think.
- These things are made by school children.
- These were brought here by the men.
- These will be good tomorrow.
- This will be finished tomorrow.
- The cows will be killed some day.
- Read aloud with informant then translate. List verbs, their aspects and why used, subjects and objects. Explain
the cases of nouns and pronouns. Explain the use of [ni̲].
Ɣä̲n göörä̲ ruac kɛ yɛ walɛ kɛ kui̲c ram kɛl. Ram ɛmɔ ɛ jɛn mä̲ä̲dä̲. Ram ɛmɔ gɔaa lɔcdɛ kä̲
gɔaa ciaandɛ bä̲. Thïlɛ jɛ duɛ̲r. Ɛ ram mi̲ di̲i̲t ɛlɔ̲ŋ. Du̲ŋdɛ nhök kɛnɛ tɛ̈thlɔaac, kä̲ du̲ŋdɛ
mal kɛnɛ kɔa̲c lɔaac bä̲. Ɣä̲n nhɔakä̲ ni̲ jɛ, kä̲ jɛ puɔ̲nydɛ laa nhɔkɛ ɤä̲ bä̲.
Gua̲a̲dɛ jɛn a nhial. Ɛ ro̲l nhi̩al pa̲ny. Tɛ̲ nɛɛkɛ thï̲n kɛ jɛ kɛɛl. Nɛy tɔtɔ caa kɛ nɛŋ ni̲ nhial pa̲ny
ɛ mä̲ä̲dä̲ nɛmɛ. Kä̲ a mä̲ni̲ ɤä̲n bä̲, baa ɤä̲ naŋ nhial cä̲ŋ kɛl. Ci̲ lɔcdä̲ tɛɛ ɛlɔ̲ŋ
kɛ mä̲ä̲dä̲ mɛnɛ, kɛ ɤöö laa tëë inɛ. /Cɛ ciaandɛ bi̲ luɛl go̲lä̲. Dɔ̲ɔ̲ ci̲ jï̲n ɛ jɛ̲k i̲
mä̲ä̲dä̲ ɛ jɛn Kuoth Jidhɛth.