Exercises For Lesson 38
- Listen for the various types of time and action modifiers and words. Attempt to identify them in daily speech.
Make a point of using certain ones daily.
- Identify the various [a's] you hear. Is it a verb? the habitual couplet? the adverbial particle?
- Write these sentences:
- Have you ever done this before?
- Have you ever said this before?
- Have they ever heard it before?
- I have never known it before.
- I have never eaten it before.
- I have never been here before.
- He has never come here before.
- Has she come here before?
- Do you know that that man came after you?
- Will you come following me in a little while?
- Will they know to come following me in a little while?
- He's already eaten it.
- He's already gone.
- He's already taken it.
- They're already come.
- We just heard it.
- They just went right now.
- Read with informant then write translation. Explain all words grammatically.
- Nɛy tɔtɔ cikɛ bɛ̲n nɛy?
- Paykɛ bɛ̲n.
- Kä̲ kɛ kɛn ŋaani̲.
- Kua̲cä̲ jɛ a gɔaa kä̲ di̲wdä̲ pa̲ny i̲ kɛ kɛn ji̲ Kɛtbɛɛk.
Kä̲ mi̲ bikɛ tɛ̲ wanɛmɛ ni̲ni̲ ti̲ti̲, bikɛ ku̲ lɛ ciɛ̲ŋ wïnïth?
Aɤ, kui̲c ɤä̲n ɛ. Gɔaa ni̲ ɤöö bi̲ jï̲n kɛ thie̲c. Kä̲ dapni̲ bɛ̲n kɛ ɤöö ci̲ cä̲ŋ
ku̩ɔny kä̲ ci̲ gua̲a̲ miɛ̲th ku̲ thu̲ŋ cop tä̲ä̲mɛ.
Ɣɔ̲ɔ̲, ɛ jɛn, gɔaaɛ, bä̲ ŋu̩ɔl bɛ̲n ɛn tä̲ä̲mɛ pa̲ny.
- Write out in Nuer:
This man here, last year he didn't work well. But I found out that he wasn't well. So I told him he'd better go
to the clinic because his body wasn't strong. he agreed and he went. Now he's just come back these days and
he say he's better. I don't know, but we'll see. I gave him a place and I told him to work but I won't be sure.
Next year, I suppose we'll know. I have my doubts that he's still sort of weak. But that's typical.
- Take the time chart in the appendix and make up sentences using the different time words. Try using different
sentence frames. Write them out.
- Write a story about a little boy, his goat and a snake.