Indiana
University Bloomington

Search

Advanced Search

Student Life Items (21082 total)

Originally built as a library in 1890 and named Library Hall. When the old Maxwell Hall (built in 1885) was renamed Mitchell Hall (in honor of James L. Mitchell), Library Hall was then renamed Maxwell Hall in honor of Dr. David Maxwell and Dr. James…

Indiana University's first basketball team. This scan from the 1901 Arbutus yearbook.

(L to R) Phelps Darby, Thomas Records, Ernest Strange (Captain), Charles Unnewehr, Jay Fitzgerald, Ernest Walker, Alvah J. Rucker, Coach James H. Horne.

Hall was the first professor to teach at IU. Hall was a preacher and classical scholar. He taught Greek and Latin.