Theophilus Wylie was an IU faculty member from 1836-1886. During his 49 year tenure at IU, Theophilus Wylie taught all subjects offered in the curriculum, served for 38 years as librarian, functioned as superintendent of grounds, was the first vice president of IU from 1882 to 1884 and briefly served as acting President. T. A. Wylie was the first professor to give significant attention to the subjects of physics and chemistry. In 1840 he established the university’s first scientific lab.
Photo ID Number: P0027278
"Theophilus Wylie," in Student Life at IU, Item #239, http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/omeka/archives/studentlife/items/show/239 (accessed October 25, 2014).