William and Gayle Cook Music Library
Listening To Reserve Recordings Online Using VARIATIONS
Use these guidelines for listening to reserve recordings using specific computers in the Cook Music
Where To Go To Listen
Use one of the Windows PCs in the stacks on the first floor or third floor
of the Music Library or in the Computer Lab (Room 373). Headphones may be
checked out at the circulation desk.
Finding Your Course Reserves List on the World Wide Web
- Start your favorite Internet browser.
From the Bookmarks pull-down menu,
select Indiana University William and Gayle Cook Music Library Home
Page. This will take you to the Music Library's homepage. (If you
are using Internet Explorer or you do not see the Music Library home page
in the bookmarks list, enter the following URL to get to the Music Library
- Find the Course reserves link under the heading Frequently
Used Services on the left side of the Music Library's homepage and
- A list of all the course reserves for the current semester, arranged in alphanumeric order by course number, will appear. (Use the scrollbar on the right of the page to move up and down on the page.) When you find your class, click once on Reserve Recordings to get to a list of the
recordings on reserve for you.
- Scroll down to find the selection you would like to hear. Click once
on Listen to online copy.
- (Click on the Netscape BACK button if you want to go back to the
Course Reserves list.)
- After you click on Listen to online copy, a screen like the
following will appear.
- Click on View IUCAT catalog entry for this item to see more
information about the recording, including performers. (Click on BACK to
go back to the previous page.)
- Click on the appropriate Side/disc link to choose a sound file and
- Click on Report a problem or send us a comment to send a comment
or a question about this application to the VARIATIONS developers. Include
your email address in order to receive a response.
Using the Variations Player
- If your selection is immediately available, the VARIATIONS player will
appear and your selection will begin playing at the beginning.
- You can stop, pause, and move to other tracks. Click on the Help menu
to see detailed instructions on using all the features of the player.
- Close the player by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner.
Retrieving a Selection from Tape
- If your selection is archived on tape, it may take a few minutes to
load the player. You will be prompted to choose whether or not you wish
to wait. If you choose "Continue," the VARIATIONS player will appear in a
few minutes. You can read email or do other work while you wait.
Last updated: 28 March 2001 / Emma Dederick
1997-2001, The Trustees of